Donations can be made directly to The Columbian Women of GWU and are tax deductible. The Columbian Women is recognized by the IRS as a 501 (c) (3) nonprofit organization, affiliated with The George Washington University, yet administered seperately.
The Columbian Women Exeuctive Committee administers the day-to-day operations of the organization. The Executive Committee are all members of The Columbian Women. An investment committee is responsible for investing donation funds. Currently, The Columbian Women's investments are advised by Morgan Stanley.
Donations are welcome in many forms:
1) Checks may be made out to The Columbian Women of GWU and mailed to: The Columbian Women of GWU, 2020 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, #270, Washington, D.C. 20006.
2) Online donations are accepted via Paypal. Please see the "Donate" button on this page.
3) Stock donations are welcome. Please email: and we will contact you about how to process a stock donation.
4) Property donations are welcome. Please email: and we will contact you about how to process a stock donation.
5) Gifts made to The Columbian Women Endowment administered by The George Washington University are welcome. Please email and we will contact you about how to add your gift to the endowment.
6) Planned/Estate Gifts are welcome. Please email and we will contact you to explore planned giving options.
Please let us know if you would like to make a joint gift to benefit both The Columbian Women and The George Washington University. We will gladly work with you in cooperation with The GWU Development Office.
In addition to the funds administered by The Columbian Women directly, funds are also administered as part of The George Washington University's Endowment. The Columbian Women Endowment Fund was created many years ago by donors who wanted to ensure that The Columbian Women would be able to provide scholarship to women GWU students far into the future.
The Columbian Women and GWU work together to ensure these donors wishes are honored. Each year, the GWU Board of Directors approves a percentage of the interest from these funds to be released. These funds provide the bulk of funding needed to provide annual scholarships. The Columbian Women Executive Committee then reviews the investments administered separately to determine if and how much funding is available to augment the funds from The Columbian Women Endowment.
During the past few years, the funds administered separately from the Endowment have allowed The Columbian Women to ensure no reduction in the scholarship amount awarded even when the investment market was slow resulting in a significant decrease in the amount available from The Columbian Women Endowment Fund.
Thanks for the forethought of past members, the legacy of The Columbian Women of GWU continues after 120 years. Planned gifts made to both The Columbian Women Endowment and to The Columbian Women of GWU directly ensure funds are available to provide scholarships each year. If you would like to explore opportunities for making a legacy gift to The Columbian Women, please contact us at and we will contact you to set up a meeting.